Are your meetings like this?
Or like this?
What’s going on regarding the subject of “Meetings” is sheer madness!!!
- Most meetings are unproductive – executives consider more than 67% of meetings a failure.
- 15% of an organization’s collective time is spent in meetings (see more below)
Think of all the meetings you attend with managers, staff, consultants, lawyers, customers, suppliers … Call to mind the last meeting you attended.
- What thoughts were running through your head?
- What were you feeling?
- Was the meeting too long, were the right people there, were they properly prepared, did it meet its objectives?
- What would you change about the meeting?
The statistics above and below, which were published by concur.com in 2017, have mammoth implications concerning the cost of unproductive meetings to the business and employees. What is going on in the USA is going on here and all over the world .
- There are 25 million meetings per day in the U.S.
- More than $37 billion per year is spent on unproductive meetings.
- Middle managers spend 35% of their time in meetings.
- Upper management spends 50% of their time in meetings.
- People spend up to 4 hours per week preparing for status update meetings.
Many of my clients complain that they are having to attend more meetings than before and they are longer than ever! Why is this the case? For years there has been so much information on the internet that can help you so why are meetings still such a drag and so unproductive?
One of the reasons is because you end up working with bits and pieces of guidance and do not get to cover the entire picture. Weakness in any single key area can collapse all your other efforts. The proof is in the statistics. This is why you need the expertise of people with experience who are fully committed to giving you the resources you need to get meetings to work for you. This is why we are investing our time and effort in talking to you. We are here to help you!
Even if you are a one-man-band, you still invest huge amounts of time and money in meetings. Think of the networking groups you belong to (the time and petrol involved in getting there and back, the cost to attend, the follow-up meetings you may have with people you meet), your meetings with your accountant, web designer, suppliers, customers and potential customers. What value are you contributing to the meetings you attend and what are the returns on your investment in money, time and energy? If your time is worth R50 000 a month (i.e. R600 000 a year) and you are spending 15% of it in meetings, the cost (excluding petrol, vehicle running costs etc.) is R90 000 in a year, of which you are likely to be wasting R60 300 (67% in unproductive meetings).
Have you ever worked out what meetings are costing you each year?
What about the hidden costs – time, energy, productivity, stress and frustration?
What is the cost of arriving at the wrong decision because you did not have the information you needed when you needed it?
Let’s look at this another way and it becomes even more scary – if you work for 8 hours a day, you could be wasting 1.2 hours or 6 hours a week, every week that you work. No wonder you have to spend longer in the office and take more work home. This is where the days of your life are going.
Workshops to Master The Art Of
Having Efficient & Effective Meetings
- We provide you with top quality tools, information and checklists so that you can make your meetings efficient and effective
- We help you to clarify your purpose so that you can leave the meeting with the outcomes you desire
- We teach you how to plan your meeting so that the right people attend and attendees arrive well prepared so that you have the information you need to make informed decisions
- We explain typical orders of proceedings and the minute-taking process so that your meetings are structured, professional and stay focused on the agenda
- We teach you how to deal with interruptions, distractions and conflict which arise during meetings so that your meetings can be less stressful, more productive and shorter
- We provide you with ways you can use your meetings to learn more about your team and to improve team collaboration and coherence
- We help you to create accountability, action and follow-up strategy plans so that the time and money invested in meetings yield high returns
- We work with you to dissolve your own specific meeting “pain points” in a group structured coaching framework
Hundreds of hours of experience, research and reflective thinking have been invested in preparing an information and practical resource pack which you get to take home with you. This will be your trusted “Meetings Mastery Guide” which will help you to master the art of efficient, effective meetings.
Our work is about helping people to achieve more of their magnificent potential. Earlier this year a client of mine told me she was tearing her hair out because the meeting crisis had reached such epidemic proportions throughout the group that they were now having to have meetings about their unproductive meetings! In response to her call for help, we are now offering workshops to help you to have meetings which achieve their goals and do not waste anybody’s time (I served on my first committee at Rhodes University in 1980 and have been in countless meetings over the years. I am fully on your side and understand first-hand what you go through).
It takes knowledge, time and practice to become an expert but you will achieve more powerful results and greater value starting with your very next meeting after the workshop. Even if you are not responsible for the preparations, the agenda or Chairing the meeting this time, the quality of your contribution as an attendee will be enhanced exponentially to the training you have digested and implemented.